Answer

Answer Questions and Become an Expert on Your Topic

Contact Staff

Our Experts are Ready to Answer your Questions

Campus Corner Campus Dilemma

Bonface Chisutia

Reaction score
PREFACE​

It's always a dream of any young person to join campus. The good stories we hear from our seniors and teachers who already have the experience make us yearn for that lifetime opportunity. They tell us how it's merry and rosy with so much to enjoy. From the excess freedom to HELB and the, of course, the gender mix up."Hakuna kusoma", are some of the common statements you will hear from those in campus mostly teachers on teaching practice. We end up working hard not necessarily because we want to do medicine but to have a taste of this paradise flowing with honey and milk. I remember when I told my cousin who was by then in form three, "just make sure you won't miss campus ". I gave her all the sweet stories and rumors well knowing that I was lying. I was lied to so no big deal. She eventually joined Pwani University two years ago and am sure she is having "time of her life" (pun intended). Okay, from my statement you can read the opposite of my narrative. The idea here is that it's not always what we think it is. Things always go the unexpected way and before notice, the damage is irreplaceable. I am therefore going to tell a story that everyone can relate to. A story that will touch on all corners of Campus life and even life after school. I, therefore, take this opportunity to welcome you to my first ever novel in progress called The Campus Dilemma.

PART ONE
On 21st August 2015, I left Nairobi accompanied by my Uncle, Vinny heading to Kitui. I was coming from Mombasa where I had been for two months having come from Nakuru. I was going to join Campus. The great South Eastern Kenya University. This was the first time I was going to Ukambani, same as my uncle. We had no idea where we were going but we trusted our driver. The driver, a middle-aged lady with a very strong Kamba accent assured us safe travel and my uncle answered 'nesa' which I came to learn meant 'good' or 'poa'. We left Nairobi at around 9 in the morning and through the rough and thickets of the dry Ukambani land, we went. It was very adventurous and was looking forward to having a good time here. I had heard nice stories of the Kamba people and their gorgeous ladies of course. Two hours later, the driver signaled us off. We alighted at a place called Kwa Vonza. It was a small urban center with hundreds of shops and a good number of people. I was very tired so I took a seat at a nearby metal shade which made it even worse from the scorching sun. After few minutes of resting, we took off. There were no cars so we boarded a boda. I was astonished at the Nduthi guy who wanted 500 as fare. "That can't be ", I said. It can't be that far. We argued and left him for another and the story was the same so we agreed to pay after and off we left. In that dusty road, we cruised. Thirty minutes later we saw a gate written on " Welcome to South Eastern Kenya University, Transforming Lives, from Arid to Green". We sighed with relief. I was wondering how these guys wanted us to pay 500 bob for a thirty minutes journey. After the security check, I asked the guy where the University was and where are the admissions taking place. The guy looked at me and laughed. We had just covered a quarter of the road. The university was several kilometers away. We sat on the boda and off we took, again. 1 hour later and we were still going. I had inhaled loads of dust and my tummy was full. It was my first time in a semi-arid area and for the first time, I almost asked the uncle to take me back. This was too much and maybe I would die. We reached SEKU two hours later. Almost the same amount of hours we took from Nairobi to Kitui. I was tired like hell so I just took 1000 from my pocket and gave it to the driver. This place was far. Very far and the 500 was worth it or even more. On the highway, signposts directed us so we went straight to the administration block where admissions were taking place. I was admitted to the school of Pure and Applied Sciences, Faculty of Biochemistry and molecular biology. I was also allocated a room, number 7, statehouse hostel. It was a large room for 14 people and I was the third one. I took the corner bed and after spreading the sheets and everything said bye to my uncle. I came back and laid lazily on my bed. It was at 3 pm.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.